Saturday, October 22, 2011

The beginning of the story...

Wow!  What a journey we have been on the last couple of months.  It is always an exciting time when you start feeling ready to grow your family.  We decided that the time was right for us earlier this year; we'd always planned to have about 3 years between our kids.  Then the anticipation of waiting to see, trying to notice any changes and having confirmation of a pregnancy.  The excitement of announcing the expected arrival and going to the first Drs appointment. 

My 1st trimester was exhausting.  I slept probably about 14 hrs a day if possible.  Dale was seriously starting to wonder about me.  I lost several pounds because of the detox diet we were on before I knew I was pregnant and then the nausea (is that the right form of the word, I never know!).   We scheduled our 12 week appointment with the Birthing Center in Yoder. I remember returning home disappointed and nervous after only getting to hear about two beats of a heartbeat.  Four weeks later we heard a strong healthy heartbeat, yea! At 18 weeks we went to the Sterling Clinic for the first ultrasound.  And yes, I had still been vainly pretending I was barely showing.  When we got in the room the Dr. was obviously irritated by his day... things moved, over-booked, yadda yadda.  Dale sat in the corner with B and I laid on the table.  He plopped the thing down and starting doing his measuring.  I noticed right away the two circles, but was still oblivious to anything.  He worked for several mins without a word.   Finally I asked if everything was alright.  He responded "Are you starting to figure this out?" Me- "Your measuring stuff?"  Meanwhile Dale is struggling to keep B from scaling the skeleton hanging near them in the corner of the tiny room.  Dr-"There are two of them."  And like I did it on purpose to make his hectic day more difficult he said something like, well this just takes the cake.  Suddenly the room was hotter (the ac was broken) and I asked "Are they conjoined?"  I really did, out loud, weird, right?  Aware of Dale's distracted state I remember saying "Honey, are you hearing this!?!"  Two heartbeats and many oh my words later we are up and heading back to the lobby with enormous eyes and huge smiles.  I stopped by the restroom laughing uncontrollably and Dale and B waited in the Lobby, which was now more full of people waiting for, I suspect, an ultrasound.  Some one asked him how it went, did we find out if it was a boy or a girl.... a boy and a girl (we think).  Once we got to the car I told B he wasn't just getting a brother or a sister, but a brother and a sister.  His response... "Where's my truck!?"  Oh boy! 

Then we had the fun of telling all the friends and family.  Nana almost droppped B as she plunked down on a co-worker's desk.  Dale's Grandma asked what we were going to do with our dog.  It seems the response ranged from "ha ha funny!" to "WHAT!?"  I was heading to my sister's house that day and decided to tell her when I got there, I walked in and said "it's a boy" (Ny especially was hoping for a girl) "and a girl!"  Then there was much screaming and jumping! 

Well, little Link (4 days old), who has been sweetly awake just gazing around since his last feeding 2 hrs ago (unbelievable, right?) is starting to get hungry.  I'm not sure how this blog thing is going work, but it was fun today!

2 comments:

  1. will love to read how the journey continues...remember there will likely be bumps and corners so have to be taken into account, and before gps it was not uncommon for people to have to turn around and try again before they made it to their destination...take each experience as it comes....love to your lovely family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Krystal! Still can't believe you were almost halfway through your pregnancy before you found out you were having twins! Can't wait to read about your adventures. =)

    ReplyDelete