Monday, January 16, 2012

On Nursing Twins After a C-section...

Am I crazy that I avoid saying "breastfeeding" as much as possible?  It's not that I don't like the act or think it is icky.  I just feel like we could have a better name for it.  If someone asks me if I am breastfeeding the twins I usually answer by referring to it as nursing because of my pact to avoid the term hitherto referred to as bfing.  When my 2 yr old asks what I am doing, I tell him I am feeding the babies milk.  The first time he asked what they are eating from I may have panicked a bit so I told him mommy.  Yep, that's it, mommy.  So tonight (his last night as a 2 yr old--- sigh) I was feeding his sister and he exclaimed "Kyndi is eating mommy!"  Yes, son, yes she is :). 

Here are some options I found online for an alternate to bfing---nourishing, wining and dining, suckling, sustaining, feeding, nurturing, nursing, fattening, catering to, num-nums, eating from the chest, and if any of my bi-lingual friends are reading I would love to know what it is called in another language.

This search lead me to an interesting site... it wasn't exactly what I was looking for so prepare to be amazed if you visit it.... http://www.breastfeeding.co.uk/index.php?option=com_glossary&task=list&glossid=1&letter=A


I think, for today, I'm going with...  After I found out I was having twins one of my main concerns was fattening them up.  B was easy to fatten and although I recognized that having 2 babies would create a few more difficulties and a higher likelihood of fattening problems I was determined to give it my best shot.  And so far so good.  I did minimal amounts of research, mainly asking every mother of multiples I knew about their fattening experiences.  Some weren't able to fatten, some pumped and bottle fattened, and others were successful fatteners for many months. 

My first goal was to get each baby to latch on and eat individually.  Once they were both doing that well, after the 1st day for my 2 little champs, I practiced fattening them at the same time.  Kyndi had a little trouble latching on and the nurse warned and pushed that she needed some formula for some reason or another.  I was emotionally adamant that I didn't want her to have a bottle (may be a bit ridiculous).  So, I suggested I pump and see if that would help.  The not so nice nurse scoffed a bit and basically commented that I wouldn't get anything (because of the c-section).  Well, my body proved her incorrect and we attached a tiny hose and got Kyndi to latch on.  Link took at it and never wanted to stop, probably the reason he went from 6 lb 3 oz to 11 lb 1 oz in 2 months.  :)  

A second goal was to find a fattening pattern.  My pattern of choice is to fatten the baby on one side and then the next side for the next fattening.  I used an app on my iPod the first few weeks to keep track of when and what side.  I also took my Peds advice (father of twin boys) and mandated that the babies fatten up at the same time.  So, if Kyndi woke up and couldn't wait, I would wake Link up to fatten too. At 2 weeks old Link had seizures and was in the PICU for 2 nights.  Kyndi was not allowed in there so I went back and forth to feed them.  The nurses were amazed that Link would be fast asleep when my mom came to tell my Kyndi was hungry.  Then when I went to fatten her, he would wake up too.  Now 3 months old and I swear they have a 6th sense to tell if their sibling is getting fattened.  I will sneak one out of the nursery and as I sit on the couch to fatten, the other will start their plea.

More on fattening soon...

After using fattening, I'm thinking it is a little more of a term for livestock.  Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment